Monday 11 August 2008

Prayer and Encouragement Link

After a time of corporate worship and prayer last night at a church music team meeting, we broke into smaller groups to pray for one another.

One of the younger guys in our group marvelled at how he 'felt better' after we prayed for him. It wasn't that he had been healed (although I have definitely seen this happen), or that his circumstances had immediately changed.

I believe it was simply a manifestation of Jesus' promise that "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them" Matthew 18:20.

When God shows up during worship and prayer, we can't help but be encouraged. Somehow our circumstances seem to become less important and we are lifted to a higher place by His Spirit.

A great example of this I thought of is found in Acts 16:25 when Paul and Silas were worshipping and praying at midnight after being flogged and thrown into prison. God came on the scene in quite a profound way. After lifting their spirits inwardly, He then proceeded to break the physical chains that we holding them outwardly.

My friend Chris says that God is the kindest person he knows -- I am inclined to agree with him.

No comments: