Tuesday 19 August 2008

Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought

For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgement, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you.
Romans 12:3

I had a recent conversation with someone who gave me their opinion on a personal decision that I had made, and by extension their view of the character implications of it.  It was a subtle thing, but the person concerned made the assumption that I valued and desired their view and counsel.

It reminded me of times I have 'spoken into' peoples lives in the past when my counsel was neither sought nor really required.  We have to be so careful not to let our pride get the better of us.

Sober judgement and humility are always the best policy.  I'm sure that's why the Bible says:
God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.
James 4:6b

No comments: