Saturday 23 August 2008

My Friend Heather

Tonight is a special celebration for a very dear friend. Her name is Heather Joy Hansby (she is the one on the left in the above photo) and she is turning 50.

Heather has been an integral part of my life for over two decades. She attended my wedding, has walked with Belinda and I through the highs and lows of church life, the birth of all our children, parenting struggles, changing work situations and various family dramas. I find it hard to imagine life without her!

Some precious qualities of Heather:
  1. full of love for God
  2. dependable
  3. loyal
  4. devoted
  5. honours others
  6. never lacking in zeal
  7. joyful in hope
  8. patient in affliction
  9. faithful in prayer
  10. shares what she has
  11. hospitable
  12. humble
There qualities come together so wonderfully in the following passage:
Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honour one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervour, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality.

Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position (Or willing to do menial work). Do not be conceited.

Romans 12:9-16
I think that the above scripture verses sum up so beautifully the quality of love in Heather's life. I have so much appreciated her friendship and support. She has become an extension to our family, our children still refer to her as 'Aunty' Heather. 'Aunty' is a title reserved for just one other person in their world apart from blood relatives! She and Jess have shared Christmas with us for many years also.

Heather, I remember fondly your 40th birthday at Sweet Emma's. The joy of seeing you sing (impromptu!) with the jazz band that night! Your love of music and drama is a defining aspect of your personality and character -- you have passed on that same passion to your daughter also. I remember only a few months ago when you sang at my 40th birthday. I chose the song 'You've Got a Friend' (made famous by James Taylor) so deliberately.

The songwriter, Carole King, captured something very special about friendship in the chorus:
You just call out my name, and you know wherever I am;
I'll come running, to see you again;
Winter Spring Summer or Fall,
All you gotta do is call,
And I'll be there -- you've got a friend.
This is how I feel about you my friend -- Thank You!

May you have a happy 50th birthday and be thoroughly blessed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Daddy,
I think that what you wrote is very good. I hope that it goes well at her party! It was superb. I love you so so so so so so so so so so so so so much! Lots of love from Bethy Bear AKA Tweetz

Anonymous said...

As always Wes, you have written the most amazing speech honouring another person - what a blessing you are to all who know you. I was just thinking about the things you wrote about Heather and how true they are. What a challenge to the rest of us. Isn't it wonderful it is to have such friends that can spur us on in our faith. Not to mention that I am married to the best man in the world! Lots and lots of love, Belinda.