Thursday 7 August 2008

My Dad - Part 1

How to begin?

I really wanted to write something of a tribute to my Dad. I have written many tributes to him in one form or another over the years. Sometimes in speeches, but generally on birthday, Fathers Day or Christmas cards.

My Dad is a fascinating person. He was raised as the fifth child in a family that would eventually be home for seven children. His father Dr Harold Whitmore Dart was a Baptist Minister, who I think eventually became the general superintendent of the Baptist Union -- kind of like the Archbishop for Baptist's living in New South Wales. His mother (my grandmother) was Elsie Janet Dart. I don't have that many memories of my grandmother, but from all accounts, she was a strong and determined woman who loved her husband and children very much.

I would imagine that it would have been easy to have 'slipped under the radar' during his formative years. He had strict parents, who clearly loved him, but as number 5 it would have been quite tough to stand out from the crowd. From what I understand Dad wasn't particularly talented at sport -- although he loved cricket. I believe that he was an average student, who didn't really stand out in any particular subject. Also, from what I have learned, he didn't have that much of an aptitude for mechanical or practical things.

Despite these apparent 'shortcomings' Dad had quite a few things in his favour. He was really good with people, he was an excellent communicator in written and oral form, and people naturally trusted him with their secrets. He also had a tremendous personal faith in God; having been baptised during his teen years and being very involved in leadership of the Christian Endeavour movement.

He started out learning chemistry at Sydney University and working in a local pharmacy. He never finished his university education, but his studies and work experience led to a travelling sales career at Geigy Pharmaceuticals that lasted a few years. This role eventually took him to Perth where he met my mum.

What he noticed along the way was that his co-workers readily trusted him with their secrets, often marriage and family related issues. Dad was a good listener, and I am sure that his counsel would have been a help to many.

This natural talent eventually took him into the field of marriage and family counselling. First as a volunteer, then as a full time vocation. Mum played a significant part Dad's decision to change careers, her intuition and faith proving to be a great encouragement to Dad. He has assisted countless people in this capacity over the years.

to be continued...

No comments: