Thursday 6 January 2011

My American Holiday :) by Bethany

Posted with her permission:

Hey everyone,

 

Well, many of you have been asking how America is so instead of explaining it over and over I thought that I would write this little summary of our trip so far. Hope you guys enjoy!!

 

On Thursday the 9th of December my family and I boarded a Qantas plane to L.A. It took 13 hours (not including the boring stuff to do at the airport!). The we got on another plane which took us to New York City and that trip took 5 hours so overall it took 18 hours!!

Ahhhh trek much?

But I just managed to entertain myself by watching movies the whole time!

 

We stayed 4 days in New-York and saw loads of sites like:

The Brooklyn Bridge, Time Square, Grand Central Station, the site of one of the 9/11 attacks, The Statue of Liberty, The Museum of Natural History (the one from 'Night at the Museum 1'), The Empire State Building, The Rockafeller centre and like a billion other things!! We caught subways (underground trains), buses but mainly walked!! On the last day of our time in New-York we picked up our R.V. (or as we like to call it, 'the rolling turd!' J) It's huge, like driving a bus around everywhere!

 

Tom and Simon sleep in the double bed above the drivers seat and I have a double bed to myself which during the day folds up to be a couch where we sit when driving. My Mum and Dad sleep in a double bed at the back of the R.V.

In the R.V. we have a ; shower,  toilet,  sink, fridge,  freezer, microwave and like loads of cupboards which I like to scatter my stuff in.

When driving we have a table with 2 bench like seats around it facing each other which can seat 2 people. Us kids either sit there or on the couch which has 3 seats.

 

After New-York we moved on to Washington D.C. We stayed in a pretty nice R.V. park. It had a spa and most nights we went in it! :)

Oh and did I mention that it was cold?

FREEZINGGGG in fact! In New-York and Washington D.C. and everywhere else where we have been. The has also been loads of snow!

It snowed every day in Washington D.C. which was really pretty. It went down to -4 degrees in the day and -8  at night! In Washington we also saw loads of sites like:  The White House,  U.S. Capitol, The Smithsonian Museums (the one from 'Night at the Museum 2) Arlington (Their cemetery for their soldiers and presidents) and a bunch of other stuff including shopping, yay!

 

Then after 4 days in D.C. we set off to our friends house in Raleigh, North Carolina. The people we went to visit were close family friends of ours and moved to America in late 2009. They are called the Smiths. In their family there is 4 girls: Hannah (15), Izzy (13), Lucy (11) and Sarah (7) then there is their parents Murray and Ash and their 2 dogs, Jazzy and Zada.

I am really close to all of them so it was awesome to see them again. We stayed with them for 3 days and went to their church on the Sunday that we were there. Then on the Monday the girls didn't go to school and instead we went shopping :). It was loads of fun and I really enjoyed being with some girls for a change from my brothers!

 

After the Smiths we travelled down to Orlando, Florida and went to Walt Disney World for 5 days and we went to N.A.S.A for one day. At Disney World they have 5 different theme parks and they are:

Blizzard Beach Water Park, Magic Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, Epcot and Animal Kingdom. We spent Christmas day at Blizzard Beach which was awesome because it was practically empty! Which means… NO LINES!! We did tones of souvenir shopping and I even got my name embroided into the back of my Minnie Mouse hat! My favorite ride was called "Expedition Everest" it was a high speed rollercoaster which was sooooooooooooo fun!

Tom, Simon and I went on it 3 times.

 

After Florida we drove to the New Orleans and went on an Alligator Swamp tour. It was loads of fun and we got to see some alligators and  I got to hold a baby alligator which as you may know I am not to thrilled about reptiles and stuff like that but after a while it was okay. Then for lunch we went to a place called 'gator-me-crazy' which sold all sorts of alligator dishes and I discovered that Alligator is actually really yummy hehe :).

 

Then after the New Orleans we travelled through Texas and on New Years Eve we went to a real Texan rodeo. It was really cool everybody looked like cowboys/cowgirls except for our family (not including me because I wore my leather boots, jeans and my cowgirl checkered top so in my opinion I fitted straight in with the locals :D) and the boys even bought themselves a cowboy hat each which they love to wear now!

 

The next day we just did lots of driving but we did stop at a place called Roswell. Roswell is where 'Aliens' have supposedly landed and where the first sightings of Aliens have been. (apparently ?!?!) The whole entire town is about Aliens, Aliens and more Aliens. Their McDonalds even has a big UFO out the front of it!

Personally I think that most of the people in that town were crazy!

 

Then we stayed overnight at a meteor crater (well not literally in it but near it hehe) then the next day we went to the crater and watched a video about it and looked at it and stuff like that. It also had a really cool gift shop that we bought lots of stuff in. After that we went to Walnut Canyon which was a big canyon (well obviously!) but it was really pretty because it was covered in snow.

 

Today we went to the Grand Canyon which was spectacular!!

But freezing too!! It was -22 degrees?!?!

But strangely we are getting used to it. We are going to get such a shock when we get back to Sydney and it is warm again… but I sure am looking forward to it! :)

Right now we are in Las Vegas and we are staying here tonight and tomorrow night. Then we are moving on to L.A. and then back to Sydney!

 

But before I go here are some strange things about America (that I think are strange anyways :))

Here we go:
-Their 5 cent coins are bigger that their 10 cent coins…?                                                                                

-Their supermarket is called "piggly wiggly".

-Their bread is filled with sugar so it never goes bad or mouldy.??

-They have 24 hour drive through pharmacies.

-A lot of restaurants are buffets. (which is great for me :)!!)

-And every restaurant you go to has free refills.

 

But so far America is going great but I am missing you all!

Oh and if anyone was interested in checking out my Dad's blog, the web address is:

http://wesdart.blogspot.com

He has been updating it every day with photos and things from our trip which is really cool but sometimes there is some really weird ones of me on there so watch out hehe :)

 

I hope you are all having wonderful holidays! , Merry Christmas! , Happy New Year! And safe travelling to all of you that are going away!

Can't wait to see you all very soon!

 

Love you all loads!

Beth xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

No comments: