Thursday 31 July 2008

Self-deprecation

I listened to a recent talk by CJ Mahaney entitled 'Don't Waste Your Humor' and found it to be quite challenging. Particularly in relation to healthy self-deprecating humour.

The main point for me was that there is a direct correlation between the level of humility in our lives and the ability we have to laugh at ourselves.

It was also interesting to note that where our humour is largely directed at identifying the shortcomings of others, then it may indicate a significant area of pride in our own lives.

On reflection, I wonder whether it could also be indicative of a person who feels so worthless that the only way they can feel good about themselves is to try to bring others 'lower'. I think my Dad used to say something like this to me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Wes, just discovered your blog.... and it was great to read over some of the previous entries! What an excellent insight from that passage about Apollos. Keep blogging, you are inpiring me to think about starting my own blog. Cheers, Leigh

Wes said...

Thanks Leigh -- I appreciate the encouragement. I haven't told many people about the blog yet. I wanted to build it up a bit more first -- but news seems to be filtering out...